Monday, March 11, 2019

Practicum Week 8

March 7, 2019 - 2 hrs.

Today was my staff development presentation at Burney-Harris-Lyons Middle School. This was my second attempt to present my material on Read&Write. A variety of scheduling conflicts developed last Thursday with the staff members at BHL so it was rescheduled for today. I must say that I was not as nervous as I thought I would be. I have never enjoyed presenting to adults but this felt different. Maybe it was the fact that I spent an hour going over the slides with my site supervisor and her feedback was very constructive.
I got to the school about an hour before the scheduled time. One reason was that I never received a confirmation as to where I would be conducting this presentation. I wanted to make sure I would be able to lock down a location, iron out technical issues, and just be prepared. (I have been to staff developments where those presenting struggled with the details; I did not want that to be me.
Overall, the presentation went well. I did have one issue that I problem solved during the presentation. When I went to model the highlighted elements of Read&Write, the extension icon was not loaded on my taskbar. I had thought that when I logged into the computer as myself, all my extensions would transfer. This was the one technical aspect that I had not anticipated. However, I managed to work through that by observing my participants use the tool on their laptops.
Was the staff development successful? Well, post-assessment data indicate that I achieved my 3 goals with 100% accuracy. All the feedback was great and helpful. In the coming week, I hope to dig down and how I could improve the presentation. It looks like I will getting another opportunity to deliver the content. My assistant principal heard about what I was doing and have requested that I provide the PL for the teachers in my school.

No comments:

Post a Comment